Author Topic: "This copy of Windows is not genuine"  (Read 586 times)

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
"This copy of Windows is not genuine"
« on: December 17, 2012, 01:48:25 AM »
Started getting that message recently, and as this is a Dell laptop I'm pretty certain they use genuine copies of Windows, and not pirated copies..

I understand this issue is usually caused by a trojan damaging your OS, but before I go crazy looking for my software to reinstall my OS, do any of the tech nerds here know whether disabling the wrong service with the Services program will result in this message?  I like to disable as many background services as I can get away with, including auto updating (I like having control over all aspects of my machine, and hate popups and reminders.)

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
Re: "This copy of Windows is not genuine"
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 02:01:33 AM »
Just figured it out myself..  I disabled the Software Protection service at some point.  No idea why I did that, but I'm a little miffed Microsoft would label your OS "non genuine" for disabling it..

I really should switch to Linux full time....

Prime

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • A1-Wrestling
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 05:39:51 PM »
I like to disable as many background services as I can get away with

I like having control over all aspects of my machine

I disabled the Software Protection service

DANGER WILL ROBINSON DANGER

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 11:57:29 PM »
DANGER WILL ROBINSON DANGER

I was trying to max out performance by disabling services..  Granted, it DID warn disabling this service might be a bad idea, but who would have thought it would get your OS labled as non genuine?

They say "Do not disable" all the time for stuff you don't really need, like auto updating or Windows Firewall (Windows firewall is terrible..)

Freakshow

• puts the 'serf' in microserf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 12:28:37 AM »
Translated:  I've lost interest intentionally breaking Windows and need to move onto something so esoteric I'll break-down and buy an iMac.

Joking aside:
Default Description Enables the download, installation and enforcement of digital licenses for Windows and Windows applications. If the service is disabled, the operating system and licensed applications may run in a notification mode. It is strongly recommended that you not disable the Software Protection service.
Please don't turn if off.  Otherwise your Windows Software won't recognize itself. I know how it sounds.

Prime

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • A1-Wrestling
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 01:47:18 AM »
Truth is a lot of disabling services for performance isn't really all that it's cracked up to be. Of course, there are a few obvious things you can do, but a lot of those services don't use resources until they're explicitly called even though they're running. Performance gains from stopping services are usually fairly small.

And as FS pointed out, there was a pretty blatant note in the description about what would happen if you turned it off. ;)

Freakshow

• puts the 'serf' in microserf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 11:12:32 AM »
In his defense, you used to have to watch system resources like a hawk.  So I kind of see his point.

Just should've researched it a bit more is all.

Prime

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • A1-Wrestling
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 11:58:47 AM »
Oh yeah, that's true. Then again, Dan's likely still running Windows 95, so I see the reason why he's checking. ;)

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 02:52:59 PM »
Yup, I made the same mistake years ago in my WinMe days. I tend to not go for entry level systems anymore, so I can run tons of crap without worrying about performance slowdown. Heck, rendering the podcast after editing takes like less than 1/4 the time.

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 06:28:52 PM »
Oh yeah, that's true. Then again, Dan's likely still running Windows 95, so I see the reason why he's checking. ;)

If Steam didn't drop 95/98 support, I may well have.   :drink_mini:

Pebble.2.0

• View Profile
    • Lefty Guitar Trader
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 06:34:08 PM »
This is interesting and I hope Mr. Prime can help me.

I just bought a new computer that comes with Windows 7 64 bit.  With it comes the installation and driver disks.  I went to my parents house and used those disks to install windows as well (it had shit head vista on it).  Everything was fine for a few weeks and now I'm getting the same shit as Dan.  I didn't disable anything, and it says it will disable Microsoft Security Essentials shortly. 

The disk is legit, and it isn't asking me for a passcode or anything.  wtf
"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Prime

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • A1-Wrestling
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 06:56:49 PM »
If you used the same disks that came with your computer on the Vista computer, then you have two computers running with the same Product Key and Microsoft will not allow that. Once you go online Windows will activate your keys and if MS sees two systems with the same key they'll disable it. Your product key for those disks is already in use on the machine you bought.

Pebble.2.0

• View Profile
    • Lefty Guitar Trader
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2012, 07:10:13 PM »
gotcha.  No worries it still runs and besides that, the computer is on its last legs anyway.
"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2012, 08:40:46 PM »
My experience with Microsoft registries is you can use the same disk on a second computer, just not have the previous computer running at the same time. It's kind of like license plates on cars. You can switch your license plate to another car, but you can't have two cars at the same time with the same plates.

I hope that analogy makes sense to everybody.

FATSEXY

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 07:34:43 PM »
I used to get that message on my work computer a lot. I told the people in IT that they should consider ponying up for a real computer instead of giving me some bootleg bullshit. They like me, so they laugh at my idiocy.